Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Waldorf
Fighting on Behalf of Abuse & Neglect Victims Throughout Southern Maryland
Elder abuse and neglect are some of the most horrifying and unthinkable acts we can imagine, and yet, these acts occur every single day in nursing homes and long-term care facilities across the United States. All too often, the very people we entrust with our elderly loved ones’ care are the ones who harm them.
At the Farmer & Klopfer, we are committed to standing up for victims of nursing home abuse and neglect, putting a stop to these acts, and holding the liable parties responsible. Our Waldorf nursing home abuse attorneys believe that no one should ever suffer at the hands of a trusted caretaker, and we zealously pursue justice on behalf of victims and their families.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
While physical neglect and abuse are some of the most common forms of nursing home mistreatment, they are not the only types of abuse and neglect elderly residents can endure. In fact, nursing home abuse and neglect can (and does) take many forms.
Nursing home abuse and neglect can take any of the following forms:
- Physical abuse: Examples include hitting, slapping, pinching, or kicking residents, as well as the use of physical restraints and other forms of physical abuse
- Physical neglect: Failing to meet the basic care needs of residents is physical neglect; examples include failing to provide proper nutrition or hygiene, as well as failing to implement safety measure and other forms of neglect
- Emotional abuse: Name calling, berating residents, and prohibiting residents from contacting or receiving contact from family members and loved ones are all examples of emotional abuse
- Mental neglect: Examples include failing to provide stimulating activities for residents, failing to address the mental health needs of patients, and other forms of mental/emotional neglect
- Sexual abuse: Unwanted touching, sexual harassment sexual assault, and rape (sexual conduct without consent/when consent cannot be given) are all forms of sexual abuse
- Financial abuse: Examples include coercing a resident to change a will or trust, stealing a resident’s credit card, withdrawing sums from a resident’s bank account, and mishandling funds intended for the care of the resident, among many other examples
- Medical negligence: Medical negligence occurs when a patient is not given the proper medical treatment he or she needs; examples include under-/over-medication, failure to provide necessary medical treatment, and use of chemical (drug) restraints, among others
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Elderly individuals are not always able to recognize when abuse or neglect is occurring. Even when they are able to recognize that what they are enduring is abuse or neglect, they may be unable or unwilling to speak up about it. Because of this, it is incredibly important that you know the signs of nursing home abuse and neglect. That way, at the first indication that something is wrong, you can report the abuse/neglect and put a stop to it.
Because nursing home abuse and neglect takes many forms, the signs that abuse or neglect are occurring are also varied. Some of the most common include:
- Unexplained injuries, such as bruises or scrapes
- Broken bones and other fall-related injuries
- Sexual injuries, such as bruising in the genital area
- Unusual weight fluctuations
- Unexplained changes in mood or behavior, such as frequent crying or irritability
- Seeming unwillingness to speak in staff members’ presence
- Poor hygiene
- Stained/soiled bedsheets or clothing
- Sudden and/or unexplained withdrawals from banking accounts
- Changes to a will, trust, power of attorney, or health care directive
- Signs of restraint usage, such as bruises on the wrists and ankles or impaired cognitive functioning
Note that these are only some of the signs of nursing home abuse and neglect. If you notice anything that seems wrong or feels “off,” pay attention and look for signs of abuse or neglect occurring. If you do believe that your loved one or anyone in the facility is a victim, you can report the abuse to the proper authorities. If you believe someone is in immediate danger, call 911 or contact local police.
If you believe your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, don’t delay; contact the proper authorities and then call our firm at (301) 265-2220 for a free, confidential consultation.
If you notice signs of nursing home abuse or neglect, it’s important that you report it right away. The sooner you report suspected abuse, the sooner an investigation can be made and abuse/neglect can be stopped.
First and foremost, if you believe you, your loved one, or any person is in immediate danger due to elder abuse, contact local police or call 9-1-1. For all other instances of suspected nursing home abuse or neglect, you can do the following:
In Maryland, you can report nursing home abuse and/or neglect by:
- Informing the nursing home administration or your loved one’s doctor of suspected abuse (certain personnel, including health care providers, is required by law to report abuse/neglect)
- Contacting Adult Protective Services online or at (800) 332-6347
- Calling the Maryland Department of Human Resources at (800) 917-7383
- Contacting the local long-term care ombudsman in your area; call (410) 767-1100 to find your local ombudsman or search the phone numbers of county offices online
In Washington, D.C., you can report nursing home abuse/neglect by:
- Alerting the administrator of the facility or a nurse, doctor, or health care provider of the abuse and/or neglect
- Contacting Washington, D.C.’s Adult Protective Services department by phone at (202) 671-4200 or online
- Calling your local long-term care ombudsman via the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program through the Department of Aging and Community Living: (202) 434-2190
For more information, including assistance in how to report nursing home abuse and/or neglect in Maryland or Washington, D.C., contact our firm right away.
Filing a Nursing Home Abuse Claim
If you or your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse and/or neglect, you can file a personal injury claim seeking compensation for damages. These damages include things like medical bills for necessary care arising as a result of the abuse/neglect, physical pain and emotional suffering, loss of life quality and enjoyment, and more.
At Farmer & Klopfer, we can help you go up against the person or party responsible for the abuse. Our Waldorf nursing home abuse lawyers are passionate about fighting for the rights of victims and seeking the justice they and their families deserve.
A wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense
Mr. Farmer and his team were impressive through their work effort and detailed approach in every phase the Civil Court Personal Injury case. They also were responsive to any questions/concerns, supportive and communicated well through out the process. In the end, a satisfactory settlement was achieved. Mr. Farmer would be a wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense.”
We received a great outcome and my family was 100% pleased
“Attorney Farmer helped me and my family through a domestic situation which turned out to be great. His expertise, presentation, and professionalism all worked together and we received a great outcome and my family was 100% pleased. I would highly recommend!”
He got me the best possible sentencing I've could have asked for.
“I've had several lawyers over the last decade and James Farmer has been the absolute best.”
Thorough and attentive to my case from the beginning
“From the initial consultation, I knew I needed James Farmer and his team on my side. He was thorough and attentive to my case from the beginning, prior to even hiring his firm. Once I officially hired his firm, he and his colleague Mr. Melvin Allen moved to strategically place me in the best position possible. They supported me throughout the process by making sure I understood what was happening and I felt extremely grateful to have them on my side! Long story short, my case was successfully completed with a favorable outcome! An outcome I couldn’t even imagine was possible but Mr. Allen’s expertise, strategy, and courtroom presence made it all possible! My wife and I are forever grateful and will always look to this firm on any future needs and you should, too!”
Thank you, Mr. Farmer, and may God bless you in your future endeavors.
“You and your team have given my family our son back. No amount can adequately compensate for that gift! I can only hope our heart-felt thank-you and 'God bless you' will somehow offset the imbalance.”
Committed to Improvement
We take pride in learning the latest strategies for maximizing damages, preparing our clients for trial & mounting an effective case.
A Record of Results
Our firm has won tens of millions of dollars in financial compensation for individuals & their families.
Renowned in Our FieldWe are well-regarded in the legal community & are even known & respected among insurance companies.
Fearless AdvocacyWe are not afraid to confront negligent medical professionals, hospitals, nursing homes or their insurance companies.
Valuable InsightWe know how to skillfully navigate government bureaucracies to help our clients obtain workers’ compensation benefits.