Waldorf Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers
You Can Still Seek Compensation with Our Help
Did you get sideswiped, rear-ended, or otherwise hit by an uninsured motorist? You might expect that your chance to recover a fair amount of damages has been floundered. With some legal guidance from Farmer & Klopfer, though, there might still be a way to get the compensation you need and deserve.
Our Waldorf uninsured motorist accident attorneys are here to help you explore all of your legal options after an uninsured motorist crashes into you. Depending on your insurance policy, we might be able to demand full damages from your own insurer. Every case is unique, though, so we need to be able to sit down with you and discuss your situation to know the best approach to take.
Uninsured Motorist Insurance Benefits
Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) in Maryland is an insurance policy that protects you if you're involved in an accident caused by a driver who doesn't have insurance. Additionally, underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) is an insurance policy that provides you with protection in case you're involved in an accident where the at-fault driver's insurance coverage isn't sufficient to cover all your expenses.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that about 12% of all drivers in certain parts of America are uninsured, despite all states requiring motorists to carry some form of active car insurance. Due to the prevalence of uninsured drivers, it is highly advised that you purchase the best uninsured motorist insurance policy you can reasonably afford. However, in Maryland, the law requires you to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily liability insurance coverage that meets minimum legal requirements.
Your UM/UIM insurance policy in Maryland must provide at least:
- $30,000 in damages per person injured
- $60,000 in damages per accident
After being hit by an uninsured motorist, your own insurance company’s policy should pay for your bodily injury damages, up to the coverage cap you purchased.
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage offers the following benefits to drivers:
- Coverage in Uninsured Situations: UM coverage steps in when you're involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. It helps cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs for you and your passengers.
- Protection in Hit-and-Run Accidents: UM coverage can also apply if you're in a hit-and-run accident where the at-fault driver cannot be identified. This coverage ensures you're not left footing the bill for damages caused by an unknown driver.
- Safety Net for Underinsured Drivers: UIM coverage becomes valuable when the at-fault driver's insurance coverage isn't enough to cover all your expenses. If their policy limits are lower than the costs you've incurred due to the accident, your UIM coverage can bridge that gap, covering the remaining expenses up to your policy limits.
- Flexibility and Control: Both UM and UIM coverage allow you to set coverage limits based on your needs and budget. You have control over the maximum amount your insurance company will pay for a covered claim, ensuring you have the necessary financial protection.
- Legal Compliance: While UM/UIM coverage isn’t mandatory in Maryland, insurance companies are required to offer it to drivers. Opting for this coverage ensures compliance with Maryland’s regulations and protects you from potential financial liabilities caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers.
- Cost Efficiency: Though adding UM/UIM coverage might increase your insurance premium slightly, the financial benefits it provides in case of an accident can outweigh the additional cost.
- Peace of Mind: Having UM/UIM coverage offers peace of mind knowing that you have an added layer of protection beyond what other drivers might carry. It reduces the risk of being financially burdened due to an accident caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers.
Our law firm can help you file and manage this claim that you bring against your insurer. Even though you have paid them monthly premiums and they advertised themselves as being as friendly and as helpful as a kind neighbor, you should not be surprised if your insurance provider tries to deny or undervalue your uninsured motorist claim.
Hit-and-Run Drivers are “Uninsured”
Were you hit by a reckless driver who then left the scene of your accident before you could collect their insurance and identifying information? Unfortunately, it can be challenging to hold them accountable for damages.
But as we mentioned earlier, UM coverage kicks in during hit-and-run accidents. It helps cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and damages to your vehicle or property caused by the unidentified or uninsured driver, ensuring policyholders are not left without financial support in situations where the at-fault driver cannot be held responsible.
To utilize UM coverage after a hit-and-run accident, you typically report the incident to your insurance company. They'll initiate an investigation and might require a police report or other evidence to support your claim.
Here's what you should do if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident:
- Ensure Safety: Check yourself and others involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt, seek medical attention immediately by calling 911 or emergency services.
- Stay at the Scene: Do not leave the scene of the accident. Wait for law enforcement to arrive and report the incident.
- Call the Police: Contact law enforcement as soon as possible to report the hit-and-run. Provide as much detail as you can about the incident, including the location, time, and a description of the other vehicle if possible. Request a copy of the police report for your records.
- Gather Information: If it's safe to do so, collect any information that might help identify the other vehicle or driver. This includes the make, model, color, and license plate number of the vehicle. If there are witnesses, ask for their contact information as they might have seen something helpful.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to your vehicle and the surrounding area. This documentation could be valuable for insurance purposes.
- Inform Your Insurance Company: Report the hit-and-run accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide them with all the details you have, including the police report number, if available.
- Review Your Coverage: Check your insurance policy to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage could help cover your expenses if the at-fault driver cannot be identified or doesn’t have insurance.
- Follow Up: Stay in touch with the police and your insurance company for updates on the investigation and the status of your claim.
Lastly, consider consulting with an attorney experienced in handling hit-and-run accidents. Our legal team at Farmer & Klopfer can guide you through the process, especially if you're facing difficulties in getting compensation or identifying the at-fault driver.
Please schedule a free case consultation today so we can begin.
Whether we need to file an uninsured motorist accident claim against your own insurance company or a completely separate party, you can rest confidently in knowing that our Waldorf uninsured accident attorneys are on the case. We do not back away from any legal challenge, no matter the size of the opposition. Our fighting spirit has made us a known name among major insurance companies and clients alike.
A wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense
Mr. Farmer and his team were impressive through their work effort and detailed approach in every phase the Civil Court Personal Injury case. They also were responsive to any questions/concerns, supportive and communicated well through out the process. In the end, a satisfactory settlement was achieved. Mr. Farmer would be a wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense.”
The staff at the office was very friendly and professional.
“I would highly recommend this attorney to anyone who is in need of an attorney.”
A winning team of confident, knowledgeable and successful attorneys
“I am so pleased with the staff at the James F. Farmer firm. They are true professionals, ready and willing to fight on your behalf. When you retain their services, you are joining a winning team of confident, knowledgeable, and successful attorneys, like Mr. Melvin Allen, who helped me. Thank you!!!”
Could not have asked for a better group of attorneys to handle our legal problem
We could not have asked for a better group of attorneys to handle our legal problem. James Farmer and Melvin Allen were very knowledgeable, confident and successful in handling our case. I will definitely be referring this Law Firm to others.”
Thorough and attentive to my case from the beginning
“From the initial consultation, I knew I needed James Farmer and his team on my side. He was thorough and attentive to my case from the beginning, prior to even hiring his firm. Once I officially hired his firm, he and his colleague Mr. Melvin Allen moved to strategically place me in the best position possible. They supported me throughout the process by making sure I understood what was happening and I felt extremely grateful to have them on my side! Long story short, my case was successfully completed with a favorable outcome! An outcome I couldn’t even imagine was possible but Mr. Allen’s expertise, strategy, and courtroom presence made it all possible! My wife and I are forever grateful and will always look to this firm on any future needs and you should, too!”
Committed to Improvement
We take pride in learning the latest strategies for maximizing damages, preparing our clients for trial & mounting an effective case.
A Record of Results
Our firm has won tens of millions of dollars in financial compensation for individuals & their families.
Renowned in Our FieldWe are well-regarded in the legal community & are even known & respected among insurance companies.
Fearless AdvocacyWe are not afraid to confront negligent medical professionals, hospitals, nursing homes or their insurance companies.
Valuable InsightWe know how to skillfully navigate government bureaucracies to help our clients obtain workers’ compensation benefits.