Car Accident Lawyers in Waldorf, MD
Were You Injured in a Car Accident? Our Firm Can Fight for You!
If you were injured or if your loved one was killed in a car accident and you believe another driver or party was at fault, it is in your best interests to reach out to an experienced and competent Waldorf car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
You may be entitled to financial compensation for your damages, including medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, vehicle repairs, and more.
Every year, auto accidents claim the lives of thousands of people. Hundreds of thousands more are seriously injured in motor vehicle collisions on Maryland highways and roads. Unfortunately, a large majority of these incidents are entirely preventable, occurring only as a result of someone's careless, reckless, or even intentional actions.
Since 1978, Farmer & Klopfer has been providing aggressive legal representation for injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed. Based in Waldorf, MD, our car accident attorneys have earned a reputation throughout Southern Maryland as skilled and zealous advocates for personal injury victims.
Together, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients; we are prepared to fight for you and your recovery.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
A car accident, also known as a traffic accident or motor vehicle accident, occurs when two or more vehicles collide, or when a vehicle collides with a pedestrian, animal, or a stationary object, resulting in damage to property and/or injuries to people involved. Car accidents can vary in severity from minor fender-benders to catastrophic crashes with serious injuries or fatalities.
Common types of car accidents include:
- Rear-End Collisions
- Head-On Collisions
- Side-Impact Collisions (T-Bone)
- Single-Vehicle Accidents
- Multi-Vehicle Pileups
- Sideswipe Collisions
- Rollover Accidents
- Hit-and-Run Accidents
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Pedestrian and Cyclist Accidents
Common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: This is one of the leading causes of car accidents. It involves activities like texting, talking on the phone, eating, adjusting the radio, or using navigation systems while driving, which divert the driver's attention from the road.
- Speeding: Driving at speeds significantly higher than the posted speed limit or too fast for road and weather conditions reduces a driver's ability to react to obstacles or sudden changes in traffic.
- Drunk Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs a driver's judgment, coordination, and reaction times, making them more likely to cause accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and not yielding the right of way can lead to accidents.
- Running Red Lights and Stop Signs: Failing to obey traffic signals and stop signs can result in dangerous intersection collisions.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions like rain, snow, ice, and fog can reduce visibility and make roads slippery, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Fatigue: Drowsy driving can be as dangerous as drunk driving. Fatigued drivers may nod off or have impaired reaction times.
- Mechanical Failures: Vehicle malfunctions, such as brake failures, tire blowouts, or engine problems, can lead to accidents if drivers are unable to control their vehicles.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, uneven road surfaces, and lack of proper signage can contribute to accidents.
- Inexperienced or Elderly Drivers: Inexperienced drivers may not have the skills to handle complex traffic situations, while elderly drivers may have declining vision and reaction times.
- Poorly Maintained Vehicles: Neglecting vehicle maintenance, such as brake and tire maintenance, can lead to accidents due to equipment failures.
- Wildlife or Objects on the Road: Animals, debris, or objects on the road can unexpectedly cause accidents when drivers swerve to avoid them.
- Tailgating: Following another vehicle too closely reduces reaction time and increases the risk of rear-end collisions.
- Inadequate Signaling and Lane Changes: Failure to use turn signals or check blind spots when changing lanes can result in side-swipe accidents.
Maryland Car Accident Laws
In Maryland, you must report an accident to the police if it involves injury, death, or property damage exceeding $1,000. Failure to report such an accident may result in penalties.
Maryland follows a traditional fault-based system for determining liability in car accidents. This means that the party responsible for causing the accident is typically held financially responsible for the damages and injuries resulting from the accident.
Here are the essential elements you must typically prove in a car accident claim in Maryland:
- Duty of Care: You must demonstrate that the at-fault party (the defendant) owed you a duty of care. In car accident cases, all drivers owe a duty to others on the road to operate their vehicles safely and in accordance with traffic laws.
- Breach of Duty: You need to establish that the defendant breached their duty of care by failing to act reasonably or by violating traffic laws. This often involves showing that the defendant's actions or negligence caused the accident.
- Causation: You must prove that the defendant's breach of duty was the proximate cause of the accident and your injuries. In other words, you need to demonstrate a direct link between the defendant's actions and the harm you suffered.
- Damages: To recover compensation, you must show that you suffered actual damages as a result of the accident. Damages can include medical bills, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Keep in mind that Maryland also follows the contributory negligence rule. Under this rule, if a party injured in an accident is found to be even partially at fault for the accident, they may be barred from recovering any damages. This is a strict standard, and it's important to consult with an attorney if you are involved in a car accident.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Maryland
Some of the most common injuries resulting from car accidents include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Burn injuries (road rash)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck injuries/whiplash
- Back injuries
- Accidental amputations
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
A car accident lawyer stands up for you in car accident cases where you were not at fault. You may be unfairly left with injuries, medical bills, vehicle expenses, pain and suffering, or other effects. He or she can help you with:
Offering legal advice - There is a lot of mixed information out there; a lawyer can make the best course of action clearer.
Understanding your rights - Laws vary by state, and there are a lot of fine details.
Negotiating a fair settlement - People who represent themselves in court on average receive smaller settlements than those with legal representation.
Hiring a car accident attorney isn’t just for those who have gotten in serious car accidents. You may need protection in smaller collisions if the other party is trying to shift blame or make false legal claims.
Request a free consultation by contacting our Maryland car accident lawyers online or by calling (301) 265-2220. If you are unable to make it to our office, we can meet with you in your home or at the hospital.
The effects of an auto accident aren’t just physical; many victims suffer severe and sometimes debilitating emotional and financial harm following collisions, including:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Immense financial costs
- Extensive medical treatment, they may be unable to return to work (either temporarily or, in severe cases, permanently)
- Vehicle repairs or having to purchase a new vehicle altogether
If your accident and injuries were caused by the negligent or wrongful actions of another driver or party, you do not have to face these consequences on your own. Farmer & Klopfer is here to help you get the justice and fair compensation you are owed.
Pay Nothing Until We Recover Compensation for You
Many people are understandably concerned about the costs of hiring an attorney. However, at Farmer & Klopfer, we offer our legal services on a contingency fee basis.
This means there are no upfront costs for you and our lawyers’ fees are only paid if and when they successfully secure a settlement or award on your behalf.
Our Waldorf car accident attorneys will do everything they can to help you recover a swift settlement. However, if negotiations are not possible, we are fully prepared to take your case to trial.
Why could my claim be denied?
Unfortunately, car accident insurance claims are not always automatically accepted and your claim could be denied for several different reasons. These include:
- Failing to provide the necessary documentation on time
- Submitting inaccurate or incomplete information,
- Exaggerating the extent of damage,
- Attempting to recover costs not covered by policy guidelines,
- Or lacking evidence that establishes fault for the accident.
Knowing these potential causes of denial is important to ensure your car accident claim has the best chance at being accepted.
Why would I need the help of a lawyer to file an accident claim?An experienced accident lawyer can help guide you through the legal steps and can also provide expertise on any issues unique to your case. They can help build your case from the ground up, helping ensure you are compensated for damages associated with the accident.
MD an at fault state?Maryland adheres to the "at fault" principle, which means that when a car accident occurs, one of the parties involved is considered responsible for paying the damages incurred. This means that if you have been injured in a car accident in Maryland and depending on the specifics of the situation, you may be eligible to receive compensation from whoever is found at fault. It's best to check with an accident lawyer.
A wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense
Mr. Farmer and his team were impressive through their work effort and detailed approach in every phase the Civil Court Personal Injury case. They also were responsive to any questions/concerns, supportive and communicated well through out the process. In the end, a satisfactory settlement was achieved. Mr. Farmer would be a wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense.”
We received a great outcome and my family was 100% pleased
“Attorney Farmer helped me and my family through a domestic situation which turned out to be great. His expertise, presentation, and professionalism all worked together and we received a great outcome and my family was 100% pleased. I would highly recommend!”
He will fight for you and do whatever he can to help you
“Mr. James Farmer is a very intelligent and skilled lawyer that knows what he is doing and will go out of his way to help. I am very thankful to have had him as my attorney!! I was facing some very serious charges and with Mr. Farmers unbelievable skills, I was found not guilty on all charges. I would highly recommend Mr. Farmer to anyone who needs legal help. I cannot stress enough that he will fight for you and do whatever he can to help you. Thanks, Mr. James Farmer for all that you have done for me!! I also want to thank Patrick, Gary and his staff for their hard work, kindness, and professionalism.”
Showed me true dedication that goes far beyond a paycheck
“James Farmer and his team exceeded all expectations! I had a very serious criminal case and his firm was recommended to me by a family member. I was incarcerated during this time and he and his associate Stephanie came to update me on multiple occasions on the progress of my case. They were not only professional but the amount of time and energy they put into my case showed me true dedication that goes far beyond a paycheck! They prepared for trial, but in the end was able to work out a plea deal that did not include any jail time. I couldn’t have asked for a better attorney. I highly recommend Mr. Farmer and his team for any criminal case!”
Thorough and attentive to my case from the beginning
“From the initial consultation, I knew I needed James Farmer and his team on my side. He was thorough and attentive to my case from the beginning, prior to even hiring his firm. Once I officially hired his firm, he and his colleague Mr. Melvin Allen moved to strategically place me in the best position possible. They supported me throughout the process by making sure I understood what was happening and I felt extremely grateful to have them on my side! Long story short, my case was successfully completed with a favorable outcome! An outcome I couldn’t even imagine was possible but Mr. Allen’s expertise, strategy, and courtroom presence made it all possible! My wife and I are forever grateful and will always look to this firm on any future needs and you should, too!”
Committed to Improvement
We take pride in learning the latest strategies for maximizing damages, preparing our clients for trial & mounting an effective case.
A Record of Results
Our firm has won tens of millions of dollars in financial compensation for individuals & their families.
Renowned in Our FieldWe are well-regarded in the legal community & are even known & respected among insurance companies.
Fearless AdvocacyWe are not afraid to confront negligent medical professionals, hospitals, nursing homes or their insurance companies.
Valuable InsightWe know how to skillfully navigate government bureaucracies to help our clients obtain workers’ compensation benefits.