Refer Your Case to Our Attorneys
Handling Cases in Charles, Calvert, St. Mary’s & Prince George’s Counties
The Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC is a trusted and experienced personal injury and criminal defense firm in Waldorf. Thanks to our growing reputation and record of successful case results, we are proud to be able to say that many of our cases come from other law offices and attorneys, many of whom are in northern Maryland, who need assistance in one way or another. We are fully familiar with Maryland Rule 1.5(e) for split co-counsel and referral fees, so entering a fee-sharing agreement with our firm is always easy and stress-free.
We primarily take referrals from attorneys who are:
- Out-of-state but have an important case in Maryland or Washington DC.
- In Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Baltimore City, or Prince George’s Counties but do not have the means of handling a case in southern Maryland.
If you are in the same sort of situation yourself, then please consider working with our attorneys today to create a fee-splitting or co-counsel agreement. When you choose our team, you choose legal professionals who are dedicated to upholding the utmost practice ethics and your client’s very best interests. The majority of the referral cases we handle are managed in Calvert, Charles, Prince George’s, and St. Mary’s Counties.
Why We Should Be Your First Choice for Referrals
When you need to refer a case to another law firm, you have to accept that the words and actions of that other law firm reflect on your own practice as well. If you rush to let just any law firm act as co-counsel or take over your client’s case, then it could look poorly on you if that firm is unprofessional, inexperienced, inattentive, or otherwise unable to give your client and law firm the respect they deserve.
Our team of personal injury and criminal defense attorneys from the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC promise to treat every referred client as if they were our own from the beginning. Every client is shown total dedication. Every case is seen as if it was the most important one in the world because, for that client, it is.
Consider the ways that we stand out from others when choosing a firm for a referral:
- Case results: First and foremost, you need to know that we can win when it counts. Our law firm has a long history of successful settlements and verdicts. For personal injury cases, we are always looking for ways to maximize the claim’s value, which gets you and your client the most money if the case concludes successfully. We are also never afraid to go to court if the situation calls for it because we have tough, experienced litigators on our team.
- Trust of our peers and communities: There is a lengthy list of happy client testimonials that our attorneys and law firm have earned throughout the years. But it is not just local clients who trust us, but also other legal professionals. We have gained a reputation for being lawyers for lawyers who find themselves unable to manage a case, perhaps due to unfamiliarity with the topic matter, overly busy schedules taking up too much time already, or distance from the client or relevant courts.
- Communication: There is nothing worse for a referred case than a communication breakdown. We are committed to keeping you and your client updated with each case progression. Or, if you know you will be busy with other cases, then you can inform us to update you less regularly while still keeping your client informed. It is all part of the way we prioritize what your firm needs to be confident that we’re capable of living up to your standards when handling a referred case.
- Fairness: We are well-versed in the split co-counsel and fee-splitting rules as outlined by Maryland Rule 1.5(e) and others. You know you can expect a fair fee arrangement that respects the work that every attorney and law firm has put into the client’s case.
Refer to a Firm That Exceeds Your Expectations
Do you have a criminal defense or personal injury client who needs a case handled in southern Maryland, but your law office is in the north? Are you currently unable to manage a case because you have too many cases already, or you aren’t comfortable with the topic of concern? Now is the time to talk to our attorneys from the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC about referrals!
We most often take cases in:
- St. Mary’s County
- Calvert County
- Charles County
- Prince George’s (PG) County
Fee-Splitting & Referrals
A large portion of the business we do at the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC comes to us as referrals from other attorneys.
While some of the referrals from attorneys are due to their law firms not working in personal injury representation or civil litigation, we sometimes receive referrals from attorneys who do not have the resources to handle extremely complex civil cases.
Many of our referrals are also from out-of-state attorneys who do not regularly practice law in the state of Maryland.
Maintaining a Positive Relationship with Referring Attorneys
The Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC does everything in its power to earn the trust of referring attorneys and our clients.
The fee-splitting relationship we have had with other attorneys has proved extremely positive. While there are no guarantees regarding the ultimate results concerning any civil case, we do zealously advocate for all of our clients and will strive for the best possible outcome.
Our attorneys have provided personal injury and civil case representation for over 40 years. We have a reputation for success, having secured tens of millions of dollars in compensation for our clientele.
We received the 2014 Top Litigator Awards in recognition of the million-dollar cases we have won. Most importantly, we cater to the needs of our clients and provide them with the most ethical representation. We pay specific attention to details and take great care to never jeopardize a case.
How Our Fee-Splitting Arrangement Works
Any fee-splitting arrangement that the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC engages in will remain consistent with the Maryland Lawyer’s Rules of Professional Conduct. Specifically, this includes Rule 1.5. We hold to this arrangement in the event of personal injury cases tried on a contingency basis or other civil cases with a different sort of billing scheme. Should any dispute arise regarding the fee arrangement, this will also be resolved according to Rule 1.5.
It is important to understand that fee-splitting is not the same as a referral fee. Rule 1.5 prohibits receipt of a fee for simple referral of a case to another firm. In addition, the referring attorney in a fee-splitting arrangement must be designated as co-counsel. This means that the referring attorney is jointly responsible for the case, even when not actually participating in trying the case. For this reason, we make ourselves available to referring attorneys at all times, and we continually keep these attorneys informed regarding the status of the case.
To discuss a fee-splitting arrangement, please contact Attorney James E. Farmer about your specific case.
Contact Our Firm to Learn More about Our Fee-Splitting Arrangements
While the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC has offices in Waldorf, we provide representation throughout the entire state of Maryland.