Waldorf Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Fighting for Maximum Compensation on Your Behalf
Motorcyclists are some of the safest motorists on the roads in Maryland―sometimes out of sheer necessity. Even so, accidents can happen for a variety of reasons. If you have been the victim of a motorcycle accident in Southern Maryland, you need the help of our Waldorf motorcycle accident lawyers.
Bikers know they need to wear protective gear and be very mindful of other motorists to protect themselves. However, even the safest and most diligent motorcyclist is no match for a negligent driver. In a collision, bikers are likely to suffer serious if not fatal injuries.
At Farmer & Klopfer, we stand up for bikers. Our lawyers represent injured bikers and families that have lost loved ones, going to battle with insurance companies to get our clients every penny they deserve under the law.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle accident refers to a collision or incident involving a motorcycle and, in many cases, another motor vehicle, pedestrian, or fixed object. These accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor scrapes and bruises to severe, life-threatening injuries or fatalities. Motorcycle accidents are often more dangerous for riders than accidents involving larger vehicles, as motorcycles offer less protection to the rider.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents involving motor vehicles include:
- Left-Turn Collisions: One of the most common types of motorcycle accidents occurs when a motor vehicle makes a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle. The driver may misjudge the motorcycle's speed or fail to notice it altogether.
- Rear-End Collisions: Motorcycles are more vulnerable to rear-end collisions, where a vehicle strikes the motorcycle from behind. In many cases, the driver of the larger vehicle may not have sufficient time to stop.
- Lane Changes and Merging: When a motor vehicle changes lanes or merges onto a roadway without properly checking blind spots, it can result in a collision with a motorcycle that is already in the adjacent lane.
- Opening Car Doors: Motorcycles can be struck by car doors that are suddenly opened without checking for oncoming traffic, especially in urban environments where parallel parking is common.
- Speeding: Both motorcycles and other vehicles may exceed speed limits, reducing reaction time and increasing the severity of accidents.
- Driving Under the Influence: Impaired driving due to alcohol, drugs, or other substances is a significant contributor to motorcycle accidents.
- Distracted Driving: Drivers who are distracted by texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in other activities may not see or react in time to avoid a collision with a motorcycle.
- Unsafe Overtaking: When a vehicle attempts to pass a motorcycle without providing enough space or misjudges the motorcycle's speed, it can lead to accidents.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists are fully exposed to the elements and the road because motorcycles provide minimal protection to riders compared to cars. In a car, occupants are surrounded by a metal frame, seatbelts, airbags, and other safety features.
In contrast, motorcyclists have no such protections. When a motorcycle and its rider collide with another vehicle or object, there is nothing to absorb the impact, leading to more severe and catastrophic injuries.
Common types of injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are a major concern in motorcycle accidents, even when riders wear helmets. Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can range from mild concussions to severe, life-altering brain damage. Helmets significantly reduce the risk of severe head injuries and fatalities.
- Road Rash: Road rash is a friction burn that occurs when a rider's skin comes into contact with the road surface during a slide. It can range from mild abrasions to deep lacerations, often requiring skin grafts and leaving lasting scars.
- Broken Bones: Motorcycle accidents frequently result in fractures, including broken limbs, collarbones, ribs, and pelvic fractures. These injuries can be painful, require surgeries, and lead to long recovery times.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: In severe accidents, damage to the spinal cord can occur, leading to paralysis or other neurological deficits. The severity of spinal cord injuries depends on the location and extent of the damage.
- Internal Injuries: The impact of a motorcycle accident can cause damage to internal organs, including the lungs, liver, spleen, and kidneys. These injuries may not always be immediately apparent and can be life-threatening.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Muscles, tendons, and ligaments can be stretched, torn, or injured in motorcycle accidents. Soft tissue injuries can lead to chronic pain and mobility issues.
- Friction Burns: In addition to road rash, riders can suffer burns from contact with hot parts of the motorcycle or the road. These burns can vary in severity and may require extensive medical treatment.
- Crush Injuries: When a motorcycle and rider are pinned under a vehicle or object, crush injuries can occur. These injuries often involve damage to bones, muscles, and internal organs.
- Facial Injuries: Facial injuries can include fractures, lacerations, and dental injuries. Riders are at risk of injury to their face when they do not wear full-face helmets or protective face shields.
- Eye Injuries: Debris, insects, or wind can cause eye injuries to motorcyclists. Wearing appropriate eye protection, such as goggles or a full-face helmet with a visor, can reduce this risk.
- Amputations: Severe accidents may result in traumatic amputations of limbs or digits, either at the scene or as a medical necessity later on.
- Psychological Trauma: Motorcycle accidents can also lead to psychological trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and other emotional issues, which can have a long-lasting impact on the rider's mental health.
Tens of Millions of Dollars Recovered By Our Firm
When you are suffering due to a motorcycle accident, our personal injury attorneys can fight aggressively to recover maximum compensation for you. We don’t charge lawyers’ fees unless we win. Incidental costs may apply.
Motorcycle accident victims can not only suffer serious injuries but also resulting medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. At Farmer & Klopfer, we work hard to ensure that our clients get the compensation they are entitled to for ongoing medical treatment, long-term care, accommodations to their homes, and more.
For clients who are grieving the loss of a family member due to a motorcycle accident and/or injury, our lawyers zealously seek wrongful death settlements that include funeral costs, lost future income, mental distress, and other damages.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
It is not wise to provide a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster without an attorney present. The insurance company is not on your side.
After a motorcycle accident, our lawyers know what it takes to uncover the cause and prove our client’s case. In total, the Waldorf motorcycle accident injury attorneys at Farmer & Klopfer have decades of legal experience. Since our firm’s founding in 1978, we have established a reputation for aggressive personal injury representation. We focus on getting results.
When you need an attorney you can trust to do whatever it takes to get you the compensation you need, you can count on us. We offer initial legal consultations free of charge at our law office in Waldorf, Maryland, and we make home and hospital visits as well.
Nothing short of miraculous
“Mr. Farmer and his associates go the EXTRA mile for all their clients! It's nice to feel safe at the hands of your attorney and get a great outcome! Every experience I've personally had, as well as watched, has been nothing short of miraculous!! Farmer and staff are who you want on your side!!!”
He got me the best possible sentencing I've could have asked for.
“I've had several lawyers over the last decade and James Farmer has been the absolute best.”
He will fight for you and do whatever he can to help you
“Mr. James Farmer is a very intelligent and skilled lawyer that knows what he is doing and will go out of his way to help. I am very thankful to have had him as my attorney!! I was facing some very serious charges and with Mr. Farmers unbelievable skills, I was found not guilty on all charges. I would highly recommend Mr. Farmer to anyone who needs legal help. I cannot stress enough that he will fight for you and do whatever he can to help you. Thanks, Mr. James Farmer for all that you have done for me!! I also want to thank Patrick, Gary and his staff for their hard work, kindness, and professionalism.”
A family member was in a bad situation and they resolved it with ZERO drama.
“Don’t mess around when it’s your money on the line. Go with these guys if you want excellent, competent attorneys.”
A wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense
Mr. Farmer and his team were impressive through their work effort and detailed approach in every phase the Civil Court Personal Injury case. They also were responsive to any questions/concerns, supportive and communicated well through out the process. In the end, a satisfactory settlement was achieved. Mr. Farmer would be a wise choice for anyone pursuing legal justice and/or a defense.”
Committed to Improvement
We take pride in learning the latest strategies for maximizing damages, preparing our clients for trial & mounting an effective case.
A Record of Results
Our firm has won tens of millions of dollars in financial compensation for individuals & their families.
Renowned in Our FieldWe are well-regarded in the legal community & are even known & respected among insurance companies.
Fearless AdvocacyWe are not afraid to confront negligent medical professionals, hospitals, nursing homes or their insurance companies.
Valuable InsightWe know how to skillfully navigate government bureaucracies to help our clients obtain workers’ compensation benefits.