James E. Farmer is a seasoned personal injury and criminal defense attorney in Waldorf, Maryland, as well as the managing partner of the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC. Founded by his father, James F. Farmer, the firm is committed to providing the injured and the accused throughout Southern Maryland with the highest level of legal service and representation.
Mr. Farmer attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in political science before going on to earn his Juris Doctor from the University of Baltimore School of Law. As an undergraduate, he studied abroad at the University of Cambridge in the U.K. During his time in law school, he excelled in the Comparative Law program at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland and ultimately completed his legal studies a semester early. He passed the bar with flying colors on his first attempt. He is admitted to practice in Maryland, United States District Court for the District of Maryland, and Washington D.C.
In addition to his formal education, Mr. Farmer completed a comprehensive training course in mediation training, earning his mediation certificate.
Mr. Farmer began his legal career at the firm (then known as Farmer & Pyles, P.A.) as an associate and apprentice of his father. Throughout his legal career, he has handled hundreds of personal injury and criminal defense cases and secured numerous favorable and significant results on behalf of his clients—many of which he achieved before his 30th birthday.
Some of his recent notable case results include:
- In 2018, he, along with Associate Michael Klopfer as co-counsel in the case, won an opioid overdose murder trial in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. He was retained for the matter of the University of Maryland at Baltimore Hospital “dumping” a young black woman in the streets of Baltimore on a cold January night. Attorney James E. Farmer is the only private criminal defense lawyer in the state of Maryland to defend multiple cases of murder involving a death from drug/opioid overdose by an alleged drug dealer, and one of only a very limited number of attorneys in the entire United States to do so.
- Also in 2018, he secured a settlement of $966,000 for a client (names of parties are confidential) in a car accident case.
Additionally, Mr. Farmer has handled numerous serious personal injury cases involving car accidents, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, slip and fall accidents, and more, as well as criminal cases involving DUI, traffic, drug, violent crime, and murder charges. Many of Mr. Farmer’s and the firm’s case results have been reported in local, state, and national news publications, such as the Washington Post, National Public Radio (NPR), and the Baltimore Sun. He has also been featured on Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hanson.
Before the age of 30, Mr. Farmer earned an impressive number of awards, honors, and accolades in addition to his track record of courtroom successes. He has been selected for inclusion in the Maryland Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list numerous times and was named among the National Trial Lawyers’ Top 40 Under 40 and Maryland’s Outstanding Young Lawyers. Mr. Farmer has also been honored by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys (NAOPIA) as a Nationally Ranked Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney under the Age of 40 (at the age of 29). The Washington Post also named him among the Washington, D.C. Metro Area’s Outstanding Young Lawyers, Top Attorneys, for his work as a personal injury plaintiff attorney.
In addition to his professional successes, Mr. Farmer is heavily involved in his community. He was honored by the Charles County Bar Association, which presented him with an award recognizing his “Exemplification of the Values of Personal Integrity, Competence and Civility” for his service in the legal community and his pro bono work with multiple organizations, such as the Family Recovery Court Program. At age 29, he also headlined Southern Maryland Women magazine as the “most eligible bachelor” in Southern Maryland.
As the managing partner of the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC, Mr. Farmer is committed to providing each and every client with the fierce legal representation they need and deserve.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers® Selection - Attorney James E. Farmer has been selected to the 2021 list of Maryland Super Lawyers®, and he also has five prior selections to Rising Stars℠. He was selected for his work as an attorney who manages plaintiff personal injury, criminal defense, and DUI/DWI defense cases. No more than 5% of practicing attorneys in a region can be named as a Super Lawyers® member each year. Selections are completed after a patented multiphase process that uses independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. It is widely considered one of the most difficult professional legal awards to achieve.
- Top Attorneys: Washington, D.C. Metro Area’s Outstanding Young Lawyers, 2014, as published in the Washington Post magazine
- Recognized in the Worldwide Registry’s 2014-2015 Edition for excelling in the practice of car accident, criminal defense, and DWI/DUI law
- Completed comprehensive training course of Mediation Training pursuant to MD Rule 17-106
- Awarded Mediation Certificate
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40, 2014-2018
- Headlined Southern Maryland Women magazine
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney Under the Age of 40
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® Magazine, 2012-2018
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Criminal Trial Lawyers
- Baltimore Magazine, Top Attorneys, Rising Stars in Maryland, 2017
- The American Society of Legal Advocates, Top 40 Criminal Lawyers Under 40, 2018
- Avvo.com Client’s Choice Award, 2016-2018
- Avvo rating of 10.0 out of 10.0, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Client Champion, Platinum, 2018
- National Academy of Personal Injury Lawyers, Top 10 Lawyer Under the age of 40, 2013
- National Advocacy for DUI Defense, LLC, Top 100 DUI Attorneys in Maryland, 2016