Upper Marlboro Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Real Legal & Litigation Experience Since 1978
Few things can be as dramatic, startling, and painful as learning that your own medical provider caused you to suffer a serious injury or illness, rather than treating one. Yet medical mistakes and hospital errors continue to be one of the nation’s leading causes of death, according to several studies, including a prominent report from The John Hopkins University School of Medicine.
If you or a loved one have been harmed due to medical malpractice, then please know that you are not alone and that you have your legal options to set things right. The Law Office of James E. Famer, LLC in Upper Marlboro is here to provide comprehensive legal guidance and genuine moral support for your medical malpractice claim. Our lawyers are famous throughout Maryland for being able to put our clients’ minds at ease with honest representation while also taking the fight to the opposition when necessary, including in court.
Come see what decades of legal experience can do for your case. Call (301) 265-2220.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice as a generalized idea is an avoidable mistake made by a medical professional that hurts a patient by creating a new injury or by prolonging a current ailment. Under this broad definition, medical malpractice can come in many forms and cause all types of harm. Our team has seen a wide variety of medical malpractice claims throughout the years and we can network with reputable medical experts when necessary. No matter what is at the center of your case, you can trust us to be able to handle it for you.
We can represent your case if you were harmed due to:
- Misdiagnosis that incorrectly identified your symptoms, such as a caner or stroke misdiagnosis
- Nursing home neglect and abuse that put you or an elderly loved one in danger
- Medication errors that gave you the wrong dosage or an incorrect medication
- Surgical errors, like operating on the wrong body part or injuring a nerve
- Birth injuries that hurt you and your child during, before, or after labor
- Diagnostic errors, such as taking too long to order tests to make an accurate diagnosis
- Anesthesia errors, like too much anesthesia causing permanent damage
Our decades of legal experience also allow us to track down and accurately calculate all of your financial damages. From total medical costs and lost wages to years of future medical care and emotional trauma, we can fight tenaciously for every penny of compensation you truly deserve.
Four Ds of Medical Negligence
In order to win a medical malpractice lawsuit, you will need to overcome many hurdles. Specifically, there are four elements – the four Ds – present in any medical malpractice case. If one of those elements cannot be proven convincingly, then the claim could flounder or, at the least, your damages could be minimized.
What are the four Ds of medical malpractice?
- Duty: The defending medical professional must have owed you a duty of care when you were their patient, described as a doctor-patient relationship.
- Dereliction: The defendant must have gone outside generally accepted standards of medical care when treating you.
- Direct causation: The abnormal or incorrect medical care must have been the cause of your injury, illness, or continued suffering.
- Damages: Your ailments must have caused actual damages, such as continued hospitalization, additional surgeries, and so forth.
Are Medical Malpractice Cases Hard to Win?
The average defendant in a medical malpractice case has a strong insurance company and a large medical or hospital group standing behind them in support. Furthermore, local, state, and federal laws tend to protect medical practitioners more than they do patients. In realistic terms, it is difficult to win a medical malpractice case, which is why it is so important to only work with an experienced and honest medical malpractice attorney, like those you can find at the Law Office of James E. Farmer, LLC.
Our team of Upper Marlboro medical malpractice lawyers offers free case evaluations to discuss the key details of your case. If we do not think your case is worth pursuing due to a lack of evidence, low actual damages, legal wrinkles that invalidate your claim, and so forth, then we will be honest with you then and there, rather than drag your case on as some other law firms might. If your case is worth the fight, then you know you can lean on us from start to finish, and that we will give it our all – and then some!
Let’s discuss your medical malpractice claim together. Please call (301) 265-2220 at your first opportunity.