Upper Marlboro Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
Filing a Spine Injury Claim in Prince George’s County, MD
A spinal cord injury (SCI) is a catastrophic injury, meaning it has a profound and lasting effect on the life of the victim and the lives of the victim’s loved ones. If you or someone you care about has suffered an SCI due to the careless, reckless, or wrongful behavior of someone else, you could be entitled to financial compensation for your resulting medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other damages.
At Farmer & Klopfer, we represent clients who have sustained severe, life-altering injuries. Our Upper Marlboro, MD spinal cord injury lawyers understand the devastating nature of these injuries, as well as the many challenges you are facing. Our goal is to help you protect your rights and fight for the full, fair compensation you are owed.
On This page:
- Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
- What Is the Average Settlement for a Spinal Cord Injury?
- Damages in Spinal Cord Injury Cases
- How Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Can Help with Your Case
To learn more, including how we can help you with your spine injury lawsuit, continue reading or contact us today at (301) 265-2220. Your initial consultation is completely free.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
While there are many types of spinal cord injuries, these injuries are generally classified as one of the following:
- Complete: A complete SCI refers to total and permanent damage to the spinal cord, often resulting in partial or complete paralysis. With a complete SCI, the victim typically loses all motor and sensory function below the point of injury.
- Incomplete: An incomplete SCI occurs when the victim retains some motor and/or sensory function below the point of injury. In other words, there is only partial damage (vs. total) to the spinal cord with an incomplete SCI.
Complete spinal cord injuries are generally considered to be more serious than incomplete spinal cord injuries, but incomplete SCIs may still lead to significant and permanent complications. Both types of injuries can result in paralysis (partial or total), loss of sensation, loss of motor function, and more.
Some of the many complications associated with spinal cord injuries include:
- Paralysis, including tetraplegia (quadriplegia) and paraplegia
- Severe, chronic pain
- Incontinence (loss of bladder and/or bowel control)
- Sexual dysfunction/loss of sexual function
- An increased risk of heart and/or lung problems
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty regulating blood pressure
- Inability to regulate body temperature
- Spasticity/joint contracture
- Metabolic problems
These and other complications can significantly impact the victim’s life for years to come. Many SCI victims will require extensive and, in some cases, lifelong care.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Accidents, violence, and other traumatic events are the most common causes of spinal cord injuries in the United States.
Specifically, these incidents include:
- Car, motorcycle, truck, and other motor vehicle accidents
- Collisions between vehicles and pedestrians or bicyclists
- Falls, including slip and fall accidents and falls from heights
- Gunshot wounds, assault, and other forms of violence
- Sports- and recreation-related accidents
- Industrial accidents and workplace accidents
- Disease and other health conditions
In many cases, these incidents are the result of someone else’s negligent or wrongful actions. If this was the case for you, you likely have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. Reach out to our Upper Marlboro spinal cord injury attorneys today to learn more during a free, no-obligation consultation.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Spinal Cord Injury?
Every case is unique and, therefore, there is no “average” spinal cord injury claim or “average” settlement. Rather, the specific details of your case determine the expected value of your SCI claim.
Some of the many factors that influence the potential value of your spinal cord injury case include:
- The severity of your spinal cord injury
- The overall cost and duration of your medical care
- Projected future medical treatment costs
- The value of your lost wages
- Whether you are disabled due to your injury
- Whether you are able to work after being injured
- Your percentage of fault (if any) in the incident that caused your injury
- The calculated value of your pain and suffering and other noneconomic damages
Some SCI cases settle for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars, while others result in millions of dollars recovered for the injured. It’s important to remember that not all cases settle; many will go to trial.
At Farmer & Klopfer, we fight tirelessly for our clients and are always willing to go to court if that is what is necessary to seek the maximum amount our clients are owed. Our experienced trial attorneys understand the law and the legal system. We know how to effectively advocate for your rights and your recovery.
Damages in Spinal Cord Injury Cases
Although the overall value of your SCI case depends on the factors listed above, you may be entitled to certain types of damages.
Examples of common damages in spinal cord injury cases include:
- Past, current, and future medical care costs
- Past, current, and future lost income/wages
- Past, current, and future pain and suffering
- Loss of earning ability due to disability or impairment
- Emotional distress and/or trauma
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the injury
In some cases, SCI victims may also be entitled to punitive (or exemplary) damages. Such damages are meant to punish the defendant and are typically only available in cases involving egregious or gross negligence, intentional misconduct, or wanton disregard for the safety of others.
How Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Can Help with Your Case
At Farmer & Klopfer, we are prepared to assist you with every aspect of your case. Our experienced Upper Marlboro spinal cord injury lawyers have helped numerous people in situations similar to yours. We have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, including many million- and multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts.
We recognize that every case is different, which is why we provide our clients with the personalized attention, service, and legal support they need. We want to help you navigate this challenging time in your life so that you can begin to heal and move forward.
Request a complimentary consultation today; call (301) 265-2220 or submit a secure contact form.
The opinions that matter MostRead our 5-Star Reviews
Keeps in touch with you throughout the whole process, and even after your case is over with
I just recently had James E. Farmer handle my second DUI and I received the best possible outcome I could've wished for. The judge I had could've really laid down the hammer on me but James worked his magic and did an incredible job. He knows what he is talking about and is very humble. He keeps in touch with you throughout the whole process, and even after your case is over with, and he explains everything so you know exactly what is going on. This is my first time hiring James and without a doubt, I would hire him again. He would be the first person I'd call if another legal problem should ever rise-- though I've made a promise to myself to stay away from the law as much as possible. He will be highly recommended to anyone that asks me if I know a great lawyer.”
We received a great outcome and my family was 100% pleased
“Attorney Farmer helped me and my family through a domestic situation which turned out to be great. His expertise, presentation, and professionalism all worked together and we received a great outcome and my family was 100% pleased. I would highly recommend!”
A family member was in a bad situation and they resolved it with ZERO drama.
“Don’t mess around when it’s your money on the line. Go with these guys if you want excellent, competent attorneys.”
Showed me true dedication that goes far beyond a paycheck
“James Farmer and his team exceeded all expectations! I had a very serious criminal case and his firm was recommended to me by a family member. I was incarcerated during this time and he and his associate Stephanie came to update me on multiple occasions on the progress of my case. They were not only professional but the amount of time and energy they put into my case showed me true dedication that goes far beyond a paycheck! They prepared for trial, but in the end was able to work out a plea deal that did not include any jail time. I couldn’t have asked for a better attorney. I highly recommend Mr. Farmer and his team for any criminal case!”
He got me the best possible sentencing I've could have asked for.
“I've had several lawyers over the last decade and James Farmer has been the absolute best.”
work with the best
Committed to Improvement
We take pride in learning the latest strategies for maximizing damages, preparing our clients for trial & mounting an effective case.
A Record of Results
Our firm has won tens of millions of dollars in financial compensation for individuals & their families.
Renowned in Our FieldWe are well-regarded in the legal community & are even known & respected among insurance companies.
Fearless AdvocacyWe are not afraid to confront negligent medical professionals, hospitals, nursing homes or their insurance companies.
Valuable InsightWe know how to skillfully navigate government bureaucracies to help our clients obtain workers’ compensation benefits.